• 1 cup cubed whole-wheat country bread
• 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 4 medium tomatoes, divided
• 3 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons minced chives, or scallion greens
• 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• Freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 5 cups chopped hearts of romaine lettuce
• 3 slices center-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss bread with oil and spread on a baking sheet. Bake, turning once, until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Cut 1 tomato in half. Working over a large bowl, shred both halves using the large holes on a box grater. Discard the skin. Add mayonnaise, chives (or scallion greens), vinegar, garlic powder and pepper; whisk to combine.
Chop the remaining 3 tomatoes. Add the tomatoes, romaine and croutons to the bowl with the dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon.
Tonight I’m serving with garlic Texas toast, and fruit compote