Spiced Turkey with Avocado-Grapefruit Relish
• 1 large seedless grapefruit
• 1/2 small avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
• 1 small shallot, minced
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon honey
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder, (see Note)
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 2 turkey cutlets, (8 ounces)
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
1. To prepare relish: Remove the peel and white pith from grapefruit with a sharp knife and discard. Cut the grapefruit segments from the surrounding membrane, letting them drop into a small bowl. Squeeze out remaining juice into the bowl and discard membrane. Add avocado, shallot, cilantro, vinegar and honey. Toss well to combine.
2. To prepare turkey: Combine chili powder, five-spice powder and salt on a plate. Dredge turkey in the spice mixture.
3. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and cook until no longer pink in the middle, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve the turkey with the avocado-grapefruit relish.
Note: Often a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns, five-spice powder was originally considered a cure-all miracle blend encompassing the five elements (sour, bitter, sweet, pungent, salty). Look for it in the supermarket spice section.
Tonight; I’m serving with Pearled Couscous, sauteed spinach and garlic, fresh garden salad and fruit compote.