Bones Chorizo and Potato Tacos with Avocado Salsa
- 3 medium red-skin boiling or Yukon gold potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound Argentina chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatillos (about 4 ounces), husked, rinsed, and coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed
- 1 can Black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 2 eggs scrambled (cooked)
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 12 soft cornmeal tortillas
In a medium saucepan, bring 1 quart of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat, combine chorizo and onion. Cook, stirring often, until sausage is cooked through and onion is soft, about 10 minutes. If sausage has rendered more than a light coating of fat over bottom of skillet, pour off extra. Add potatoes, and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring often, until potatoes begin to brown, about 8 minutes add scrambled eggs. As mixture cooks, mash everything together a little with back of a spoon or a spatula, scraping up any crusty bits of potato, so that it roughly holds together. Cover, and keep warm over very low heat.
Meanwhile, in a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine tomatillos, garlic, and jalapeno. Pulse until fine. Add avocado, and pulse until combined. Season with salt.
Wrap tortillas in a warm, damp kitchen towel, put them in a microwave-safe casserole dish, and cover. Warm in the microwave for 4 minutes, remove, and let stand a few minutes. Top each tortilla with potato mixture and avocado salsa, fold in half, and serve.
Tonight I’m serving with garden salad and fruit compote!