Curried Shrimp-Apple and Avocado Salad
- ·6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ·1/2 cup thinly sliced shallot
- ·3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- ·1 cup apple cider
- ·1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- ·1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- ·1 pound Shrimp, shelled and deveined
- ·1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ·8 cups mixed salad greens
- ·1 avocado diced
- ·1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, diced
- ·1/4 cup dried cranberries
- ·1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and curry powder and cook, stirring, until the shallot is beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add cider and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 4 minutes. Pour into a large bowl and whisk in 2 teaspoons oil and vinegar. Reserve 1/4 cup dressing in a small bowl. Wipe out the pan.
- Pat scallops dry and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat over medium-high. Add the scallops and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add salad greens, apple, cranberries and almonds to the large bowl; toss to coat. Top with the scallops and drizzle with the reserved 1/4 cup dressing.
Tip: Place sliced almonds in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Tonight, I’m serving this dinner size salad with warm whole-wheat baguette and fresh fruit compote.