Quick Chicken Cassoulet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or substitute canola oil
- 10 ounces turkey kielbasa sausage, 2/3 less fat, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups baby carrots, chopped
- 4 grilled or roasted chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, torn into chunks
- 2 cups less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced or chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, cannellini or other, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley or 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 2 cups croutons of choice, optional
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or saucepan over high heat, and add onion, carrots, and kielbasa slices. Cook, turning often, until onion is golden and sausage is lightly brown on both sides.
- Add chicken, broth, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and beans and stir to blend. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and let simmer about 8 minutes to blend flavors and heat chicken and beans throughout.
- Spoon into shallow bowls (or freezer portions). Just before serving, sprinkle a little parsley over each serving along with 1/4 cup of croutons if desired.
Tonight I’m serving as a stew with crusty bread, green salad and fresh fruit.