2 1/2 cups tomato-vegetable juice cocktail (such as V8®)
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
3 large tomatoes, diced
3 large avocados – peeled, pitted, and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup diced cucumber
1 (8 ounce) can chopped tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 lemon, juiced, or more to taste
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 dash hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®), or to taste
salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Mix tomato-vegetable juice, vegetable broth, tomatoes, avocados, cucumber, canned tomatoes with juice, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, olive oil, green onions, lemon juice, cilantro, vinegar, hot pepper sauce, salt, and black pepper together in a large bowl. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours before serving to allow flavors to blend.
Cold cuts (as Follows)
Ham (any amount)
Jarlsberg or Swiss Cheese, sliced
Dill Pickles, sliced
Cut Cuban Bread in half long ways. Add ham, cheese, pork and pickles with mustard. Close sandwich. Dribble butter over the top. Wrap in tin foil and place in oven for 10 minutes at 350.
Since Cuban bread is available through Cuban bakeries and you may not have one near you, French bread may be substituted.
Today, I’m serving with a side salad and fruit compote.
Turkey Cutlets with Dried Cherries, Rosemary, & Port
Ingredients – Prep: 35 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup ruby port, or cherry juice
- 1/2 cup pitted sweet dried cherries
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pound 1/4-inch-thick turkey breast cutlets
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Combine port (or cherry juice) and dried cherries in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Cover and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk broth and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth. Season cutlets on both sides with salt and pepper. Place flour on a large plate and dredge the cutlets, shaking off excess flour.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the cutlets and cook until golden brown and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter, cover and keep warm. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and repeat with the remaining cutlets. Transfer to the platter and cover.
- Heat butter in the pan over medium heat. Add onion and rosemary and cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk the cornstarch mixture and stir into the pan along with the cherry mixture and vinegar. Reduce heat to low, return the turkey and any accumulated juices to the pan and cook, turning to coat with sauce, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the turkey topped with the cherry sauce.
Tonight, I’m serving with garlic pearled couscous, garden salad and fruit compote.
Maple-Glazed Chicken Breasts
Prep: 20 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, reduced-sodium
- 1 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (about 8 ounces), trimmed and tenders removed
- Whisk syrup, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, ginger and pepper in a small, shallow dish. Add chicken and turn to coat with the marinade; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, turning once.
- Coat an indoor grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade (reserving the marinade) and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 165°F, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, pour the reserved marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until reduced by about half, about 4 minutes. Liberally baste the chicken with the reduced sauce and serve.